The three-day intensive and interactive training program (May 4-6, 2016, Washington, DC) is designed for those interested in learning about sustainability of travel and tourism businesses and destinations. The training covers tourism as a tool for sustainable development, sustainability best practices and the GSTC Criteria--the world's leading standard for tourism sustainability, and sustainability marketing for tourism businesses and destinations. Training is organized by the GSTC and hosted by WWF in its Washington DC headquarters building.
What: 3-Day Sustainable Tourism Training by the GSTC
When: May 4th - 6th, 2016
Where: WWF Building (1250 24th Street, N.W. Washington, DC)
Fees: US$850 per person. Ask about available discounts (for GSTC members, nonprofits, and more.)
*Limited number of student registration available. Please contact us if you're interested.
Contact: If you have any questions about this training class, please contact: training [at] gstcouncil.org
Sustainable Tourism Training for Hotels, Tour Operators and Destinations
The three-day intensive sustainable tourism training program covers global trends in sustainable tourism, sustainability best practices and the GSTC Criteria, with the aim of strengthening awareness of sustainable tourism through practical insights and achievable steps. In addition, the training offers a unique opportunity to gain an in-depth understanding of sustainable tourism standards and certification programs.
Key Training Program Highlights
- Knowledge and expertise representing the GSTC as the global authority on quality sustainable tourism standards.
- Stimulating and rewarding learning experience, being part of an interactive training with fellow participants representing a variety of public, private, academic and non-profit entities.
- Practical insights on promoting sustainable and responsible travel experiences through case studies and best practice examples.
How Will the Training Benefit Your Work?
- You will be able to make informed decisions on how to implement sustainability practices for your company or destination.
- You will be able to build and establish viable and actionable sustainable tourism policies and practices for your organization.
- You will receive GSTC-endorsed certificate to demonstrate your knowledge. *Each participant who attends and demonstrates their awareness of sustainable tourism will receive, upon completion of the written exam, a GSTC Certificate of Sustainable Tourism Awareness.
GSTC Trainer: Kathleen Pessolano
Kathleen Pessolano is Director of Destinations Program and Associate Technical Director for the GSTC. Kathleen is an attorney and international practitioner at the intersection of tourism and sustainable development. She assists destinations with planning, policy, and management systems to develop tourism while protecting the natural and cultural resources. Kathleen especially enjoys working directly with communities to build capacity, devise strategies to broaden community benefits from tourism, and launch public-private governance structures for sustainable destination management. Kathleen is particularly passionate about coastal tourism issues and small island development. In the last decade, she has worked for the GSTC, The Heritas Group, Cultural Heritage Partners PLLC, Sustainable Travel International, and served as an attorney for the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and the law firm O'Melveny & Myers LLP. Before law school, Kathleen helped the Center for International Private Enterprise advance private sector development in Latin America & the Caribbean.