The three-day intensive and interactive training program (April 1-3, 2016, Cape Town, South Africa) was designed to benefit tourism industry practitioners including hotels, operators, tourism destinations, and professionals involved in sustainability standards for travel and tourism. The training was led by Anna Spenceley, and covered global trends in sustainable tourism, sustainability best practices and the GSTC Criteria, with the aim of strengthening awareness of sustainable tourism through practical insights and achievable steps.
What: 3-Day Sustainable Tourism Training by the GSTC
When: April 1st-3rd, 2016
Where: Townhouse Hotel, Cape Town, South Africa
Contact: training [at] gstcouncil.org
Sustainable Tourism Training for Hotels, Tour Operators and Destinations
The three-day intensive sustainable tourism training program covered global trends in sustainable tourism, sustainability best practices and the GSTC Criteria, with the aim of strengthening awareness of sustainable tourism through practical insights and achievable steps. In addition, the training also offers a unique opportunity to gain hands-on knowledge of sustainability practices in action by the Fair Trade Tourism certified Townhouse Hotel, which is the venue of the training class.
Key Training Program Highlights
- Knowledge and expertise representing the GSTC as the global authority on quality sustainable tourism standards.
- Stimulating and rewarding learning experience, being part of an interactive training with fellow participants representing a variety of public, private, academic and non-profit entities.
- Practical insights on promoting sustainable and responsible travel experiences through case studies and best practice examples.
How Will the Training Benefit Your Work?
- You will be able to make informed decisions on how to implement sustainability practices for your company or destination.
- You will be able to build and establish viable and actionable sustainable tourism policies and practices for your organization.
- You will receive GSTC-endorsed certificate to demonstrate your knowledge. *Each participant who attends and demonstrates their awareness of sustainable tourism will receive, upon completion of the written exam, a GSTC Certificate of Sustainable Tourism Awareness.
GSTC Trainer: Anna Spenceley, Tourism Training and Sustainability Standards Expert
Dr. Anna Spenceley is an independent consultant based in South Africa. She works on sustainable tourism issues for a wide range of international agencies, including the World Bank group, the International Trade Centre, UNWTO, UNEP, UNDP and SNV. Anna’s work includes participatory policy and master plan development, triple bottom line assessments (economic, social, and environmental), tourism certification and indicators, market research, value chain analyses and also training.
Anna is Chair of the IUCN World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA) Tourism and Protected Areas Specialist Group (TAPAS Group), and leads capacity building for the Southern African Development Community's (SADC) Sustainable Tourism Forum. Anna is on the editorial boards of the International Journal for Sustainable Tourism and Koedoe. Her book publications include "Tourism and Poverty Reduction", "Responsible Tourism: Critical issues for Conservation and Development" and "Evolution and Innovation in Wildlife Conservation. Anna was a founding board member of the GSTC, and currently sits on the GSTC Destination Working Group and acts as GSTC trainer.
Opportunity to Connect with the GSTC
For tourism industry professionals and organizations involved in sustainable tourism, the Cape Town training will also be a great opportunity to connect with and learn more about the GSTC and its global network, and to discuss program and partnership ideas relevant to your company and destination. Randy Durband, Chief Executive Officer of the GSTC, will be joining the class and be able to meet in person with any of the training participants interested in exploring further opportunities with the GSTC.