What: 3-Day Sustainable Tourism Training by the GSTC
When: October 16-18, 2019
Where: Binna Burra Lodge, Lamington National Park, Queensland, Australia
Sustainability is not an after thought. Since our founding in 1933, Binna Burra Lodge has been guided by its commitment to preserve the integrity of the Lamington National Park – now part of the Gondwana Rainforest of Australia World Heritage Listed site.
The outstanding geological features displayed around shield volcanic craters and the high number of rare and threatened rainforest species are of international significance for science and conservation.
Binna Burra is on a constant journey to improve our innovative sustainability practices into our everyday operations, to support our natural and cultural heritage, and to engage with our local community in positive ways.
We look forward to welcoming you to this first three-day GSTC training program in Australia. We know that when you complete the program, you’ll be further inspired to apply sustainable tourism approaches to protect our planet.
– Steve Noakes
More about the Training
The three-day training program (16-18 October 2019) is designed for travel and tourism industry professionals interested in learning about sustainability best practices for businesses and destinations. The training covers tourism as a tool for sustainable development, sustainability best practices and the GSTC Criteria, the world’s leading standard for tourism sustainability, as well as key topics such as global trends in sustainable tourism, sustainability marketing, and sustainable tourism product development and management.
Key Training Program Highlights
- Knowledge and expertise representing the GSTC as the global authority on quality sustainable tourism standards.
- Stimulating and rewarding learning experience, being part of an interactive training with fellow participants representing a variety of public, private, academic and non-profit entities.
- Practical insights on promoting sustainable and responsible travel experiences through case studies and best practice examples.
How Will the Training Benefit Your Work?
- You will gain an in-depth knowledge of the GSTC Criteria, the baseline standard for sustainability in travel and tourism.
- You will be able to make informed decisions on how to implement sustainability practices for your company or destination.
- You will be able to build and establish viable and actionable sustainable tourism policies and practices for your organization.
- You will have the opportunity to participate in the official GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) Exam, and upon successful completion, receive a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by the GSTC to demonstrate your knowledge of sustainable tourism standards and practices.
GSTC Trainer: Steve Noakes
Steve Noakes has been involved in the travel and tourism industry for 40 years, and is a long term advocate for sustainable tourism practices across the Asia Pacific region. He is founder of Pacific Asia Tourism, an international project management company focused on tourism’s capacity to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals and the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism. He is also Director/part-owner of Ecolodges Indonesia & EcoSafari Indonesia, operating ecolodges and inbound tours with a wildlife and biodiversity conservation focus across Indonesia, a Director of Binna Burra Mountain Lodge in the world heritage listed Lamington National Park in Australia and a Director of the Lamington Natural History Association at Lamington National Park.
In 2008, Steve was honoured with the inaugural Ecotourism Australia Medal, recognizing his active engagement in the Australian and international ecotourism industry. He was the lead Asia Pacific representative in the development of the Global Sustainable Tourism Council, serving on the GSTC Board, the Education & Training Working Group, the Election Committee, the GSCT Trainers Selection Committee and as a senior GSTC Trainer. He has also been an active participant on the UNWTO Panel of Tourism Experts and the World Committee on Tourism Ethics, contributing to a number of UNWTO projects in Asia and East Africa. He the past two decades, has served as an Adjunct/Visiting Professor in Sustainable Tourism, at Universities in Australia, Norway and Finland. Nowadays, he is an Adjunct Research Fellow at the Griffith Institute for Tourism, Griffith University, Australia, and teaches the full semester Sustainable Tourism & Indigenous Cultures, subject at Bond University, Gold Coast, Australia.
GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism
By completing this 3-day training class of the STTP, you will meet the training requirement towards earning the GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism.
Once you complete the class, you will have have access to the official STTP Exam, and upon successful completion (75% and above passing mark is required), receive a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by the GSTC to demonstrate your knowledge of sustainable tourism standards and practices.
After the training class completion, you will receive instructions on how to access the STTP Exam, which is offered in an online and open-book format, and is available for one month after the training dates.
- US$ 325* per person (Regular) *approx. AU$ 454
- US$ 300 per person (GSTC Individual Member)
- US$ 275 per person (GSTC Organization Member
After September 6th, 2019:
- US$ 375 per person (Regular)
- US$ 350 per person (GSTC Individual Member)
- US$ 325 per person (GSTC Organization Member)
For GSTC Organization members, the above member discount is available to all staff members and can be used for an unlimited number of times.
As part of your registration, you will receive training materials to be provided prior to the class; lunch and coffee/tea breaks during the training days; and a Certificate of Completion confirming your attendance in the class.
Please note: the STTP Exam fee (US$ 75 per person) is NOT included in the above course registration fee. If you would like to take the exam after the course, you can select the add-on option “Exam & Certificate” when you register, or you can also sign up for the exam afterwards.
You can sign up multiple people at the same time when registering online. Select the number of people you would like register, and you can enter contact details for each participant on the form.
For a group purchase of more than 5 seats, we offer a discounted rate of US$ 225 per person.
If you would like to sign up as a group of 5 and more, please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
We offer a limited number of need-based discounts to current students and professionals who demonstrate genuine needs. To apply, please submit this application form.
More about the STTP
The GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) offers practical insights and effective steps to help you improve your sustainability practices. With the aim of strengthening awareness of sustainable tourism in destinations around the world, the training program covers global trends in sustainable tourism and sustainability best practices for businesses and destinations.
Designed as a intensive and interactive training experience led by expert GSTC Trainer(s), STTP training classes are offered throughout the year, and provide two options for completing the training requirement towards earning the GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism:
- In-person 2- or 3-day training classes (Face-to-face training classes offered throughout the year in various locations around the world).
- Online 4-week training classes (Online scheduled training classes led by GSTC trainers, available at least 4 times a year).