What: 2-Day Sustainable Tourism Training by the GSTC
When: December 3-4, 2019
Where: Terceira Island, Azores, Portugal
|This training is offered in conjunction with the 2019 GSTC Global Sustainable Tourism Conference (December 4-7, 2019). If you are interested in attending both the training class and the conference, please visit the conference registration page and choose the STTP Training as an add-on option to your conference registration. You will receive $100 off the regular training registration rate, when you sign up for both the conference and the training.
Please follow the registration link below if you would like to register ONLY for the training class.
More about the Training
The two-day training class (3-4 December 2019) is designed for travel and tourism industry professionals interested in learning about sustainability best practices for businesses and destinations. The training covers tourism as a tool for sustainable development, sustainability best practices and the GSTC Criteria, the world’s leading standard for tourism sustainability, as well as key topics such as global trends in sustainable tourism, sustainability marketing, and sustainable tourism product development and management.
Key Training Program Highlights
- Knowledge and expertise representing the GSTC as the global authority on quality sustainable tourism standards.
- Stimulating and rewarding learning experience, being part of an interactive training with fellow participants representing a variety of public, private, academic and non-profit entities.
- Practical insights on promoting sustainable and responsible travel experiences through case studies and best practice examples.
How Will the Training Benefit Your Work?
- You will gain an in-depth knowledge of the GSTC Criteria, the baseline standard for sustainability in travel and tourism.
- You will be able to make informed decisions on how to implement sustainability practices for your company or destination.
- You will be able to build and establish viable and actionable sustainable tourism policies and practices for your organization.
- You will have the opportunity to participate in the official GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) Exam, and upon successful completion, receive a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by the GSTC to demonstrate your knowledge of sustainable tourism standards and practices.
GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism
By completing this 2-day training class of the STTP, you will meet the training requirement towards earning the GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism.
Once you complete the class, you will have have access to the official STTP Exam, and upon successful completion (75% and above passing mark is required), receive a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by the GSTC to demonstrate your knowledge of sustainable tourism standards and practices.
After the training class completion, you will receive instructions on how to access the STTP Exam, which is offered in an online and open-book format, and is available for one month after the training dates.
Trainers & Presenters
Nicola Koschel is an independent tourism consultant based in Germany, with a focus on the sustainable development and environmental management of tourism. After graduating from a BBA in Tourism Management and Consultancy (NHTV-NL) she obtained a Master in Sustainable Tourism Management (HNEE-DE). Since 2007, Nicola has worked with and for NGOs, specialist researchers, federal ministries, the German Development Cooperation, the European Commission as well as by order of renowned consultancy firms. Her work portfolio involves product and destination development, feasibility studies, project evaluation, consumer market research, design of appropriate marketing strategies and the organization of study trips, tourism awards, and conferences. Nicola serves on the GSTC Accreditation Panel on behalf of WWF, and is also a member of GSTC’s International Standards Working Group.
Ayako Ezaki is Co-Founder and Head of Knowledge Management & Communications at TrainingAid, an international tourism and training company offering online training courses and skills development opportunities for tourism industry professionals. Having worked for many years in tourism professional training and education in the non-profit sector, Ayako specializes in content building, educational program design, and project planning. She also brings many years of experience in online communications, social media marketing, and web publishing. Through TrainingAid’s partnership with the GSTC, Ayako serves as Training Director for the GSTC to develop, manage and market the GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP). She regularly leads, facilitates and organizes training classes and online courses on sustainable tourism, helping hundreds of tourism industry professionals from around the world gain a deeper understanding of the sustainable tourism standard and practical insights into effective sustainability actions.
- US$ 350 per person (Regular)
- US$ 325 per person (GSTC Individual Member)
- US$ 300 per person (GSTC Organization Member)
After September 20th, 2019:
- US$ 375 per person (Regular)
- US$ 350 per person (GSTC Individual Member)
- US$ 325 per person (GSTC Organization Member)
For GSTC Organization members, the above member discount is available to all staff members and can be used for an unlimited number of times.
As part of your registration, you will receive training materials to be provided prior to the class; lunch and coffee/tea breaks during the training days; and a Certificate of Completion confirming your attendance in the class.
Please note: the STTP Exam fee (US$ 75 per person) is NOT included in the above course registration fee. If you would like to take the exam after the course, you can select the add-on option “Exam & Certificate” when you register, or you can also sign up for the exam afterwards.
You can sign up multiple people at the same time when registering online. Select the number of people you would like register, and you can enter contact details for each participant on the form.
For a group purchase of more than 5 seats, we offer a discounted rate of US$ 225 per person.
If you would like to sign up as a group of 5 and more, please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
We offer a limited number of need-based discounts to current students and professionals who demonstrate genuine needs. To apply, please submit this application form.
More about the STTP
The GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) offers practical insights and effective steps to help you improve your sustainability practices. With the aim of strengthening awareness of sustainable tourism in destinations around the world, the training program covers global trends in sustainable tourism and sustainability best practices for businesses and destinations.
Designed as a intensive and interactive training experience led by expert GSTC Trainer(s), STTP training classes are offered throughout the year, and provide two options for completing the training requirement towards earning the GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism:
- In-person 2- or 3-day training classes (Face-to-face training classes offered throughout the year in various locations around the world).
- Online 4-week training classes (Online scheduled training classes led by GSTC trainers, available at least 4 times a year).