The two-day intensive training class (May 11-12, 2017, Washington, DC) of the GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) is designed for tourism industry professionals interested in improving their sustainability skills and learning from best practices in sustainable tourism businesses and destinations. The training covers key topics such as tourism as a tool for sustainable development and sustainability marketing for tourism businesses and destinations, and offers a unique opportunity to gain an in-depth undertanding of the GSTC Criteria – the world’s leading standard for tourism sustainability.
This training class is organized by the GSTC and hosted by WWF in its Washington DC headquarters building.
What: 2-Day Sustainable Tourism Training by the GSTC
When: May 11th – 12th, 2017
Where: WWF Building (1250 24th Street, N.W. Washington, DC)
Sustainable Tourism Training for Tourism Professionals
The two-day intensive sustainable tourism training program covers global trends in sustainable tourism, sustainability best practices and the GSTC Criteria, with the aim of strengthening awareness of sustainable tourism through practical insights and achievable steps.
Key Training Program Highlights
- Knowledge and expertise representing the GSTC as the global authority on quality sustainable tourism standards.
- Stimulating and rewarding learning experience, being part of an interactive training with fellow participants representing a variety of public, private, academic and non-profit entities.
- Practical insights on promoting sustainable and responsible travel experiences through case studies and best practice examples.
How Will the Training Benefit Your Work?
- You will be able to make informed decisions on how to implement sustainability practices for your company or destination.
- You will be able to build and establish viable and actionable sustainable tourism policies and practices for your organization.
- You will have the opportunity to participate in the official STTP Exam, and upon successful completion, receive a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by the GSTC to demonstrate your knowledge of sustainable tourism standards and practices.
You will be able to complete the training requirements towards earning a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by participating in this training class. After the training class completion, you will receive instructions on how to access the STTP Exam, which is offered in an online and open-book format, and is available for one month after the training dates.
The registration fees for this class are:
- USD 495 (Regular)
- USD 445 (Current GSTC Members)
*For GSTC Organization members, the above member discount is available to all staff members and can be used for an unlimited number of times.
As part of your registration, you will have receive training materials to be provided prior to the class; lunch breaks and coffee breaks during the training class; a Certificate of Completion confirming your attendance in the class; and the opportunity to take the official STTP Exam (the Exam fee is included in the training class registration fee).
Group Registration Options
You can sign up multiple people at the same time when registering online. Select the number of people you would like register, and you can enter contact details for each participant on the form. We also offer a discount for each group purchase of more than 5 seats. If you would like to sign up as a group of 5 and more, please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
We offer a limited number of need-based discounts to current students and professionals who demonstrate genuine needs.
GSTC Trainer: Kathleen Pessolano
Kathleen Pessolano is Director of Destinations Program and Associate Technical Director for the GSTC. Kathleen is an attorney and international practitioner at the intersection of tourism and sustainable development. She assists destinations with planning, policy, and management systems to develop tourism while protecting the natural and cultural resources. Kathleen especially enjoys working directly with communities to build capacity, devise strategies to broaden community benefits from tourism, and launch public-private governance structures for sustainable destination management.
Kathleen is particularly passionate about coastal tourism issues and small island development. In the last decade, she has worked for the GSTC, The Heritas Group, Cultural Heritage Partners PLLC, Sustainable Travel International, and served as an attorney for the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and the law firm O’Melveny & Myers LLP. Before law school, Kathleen helped the Center for International Private Enterprise advance private sector development in Latin America & the Caribbean.
More about the STTP
The GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) offers practical insights and effective steps to help you improve your sustainability practices. With the aim of strengthening awareness of sustainable tourism in destinations around the world, the training program covers global trends in sustainable tourism and sustainability best practices for businesses and destinations.
Designed as a intensive and interactive training experience led by expert GSTC Trainer(s), STTP training classes are offered throughout the year, and provide two options for completing the training requirement towards earning the GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism:
- Onsite 3-day training classes (Face-to-face training classes offered throughout the year in various locations around the world).
- Online 4-week training classes (Online scheduled training classes led by GSTC trainers, available at least 4 times a year).
See all the upcoming training classes of the STTP.