*GSTC Conference in Chiang Mai: Following the training class, the GSTC organized the GSTC Asia-Pacific Conference (Feb 27 – Mar 2, 2019).
About the Training
The two-day intensive and interactive sustainable tourism training program took place in Chiang Mai, Thailand, from February 26-27, 2019. The training covered tourism as a tool for sustainable development, sustainability best practices and the GSTC Criteria, the world’s leading standard for tourism sustainability, as well as key topics such as global trends in sustainable tourism, sustainability marketing, and sustainable tourism product development and management.
Key Training Program Highlights
- Knowledge and expertise representing the GSTC as the global authority on quality sustainable tourism standards.
- Stimulating and rewarding learning experience, being part of an interactive training with fellow participants representing a variety of public, private, academic and non-profit entities.
- Practical insights on promoting sustainable and responsible travel experiences through case studies and best practice examples.
- Participants have the opportunity to complete the official GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) Exam, and upon successful completion, receive a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by the GSTC to demonstrate their knowledge of sustainable tourism standards and practices.
Dr. Mihee Kang is the GSTC Asia Pacific Program Director, Country Representative for South Korea, and serves on the GSTC Accreditation Panel as a sustainable tourism standard expert. She received her Ph.D. degree at Seoul National University in 1999 and actively participated in numerous ecotourism and protected area projects in Korea and abroad. She has published many articles and books including the first ecotourism book in Korea and the recent one about ecotourism in ASEAN Countries. She serves a number of key positions in both domestic and international organizations such as Ecotourism Korea, Korean Geoparks Committee, Korean UNESCO MAB Committee, and Asian Ecotourism Network.
Recently she co-founded Playforest, a cooperative of sustainable travel businesses designed to benefit local communities and local activists dedicated to the conservation of their forests and to provide genuine community-based natural tourism experiences to the visitors.
Randy Durband has had two careers in travel and tourism – twenty-plus years in senior leadership positions at some of the finest U.S. tour operators, having served as President for Travcoa, INTRAV, and Clipper Cruise Lines, (brands within TUI Travel plc), plus Executive Vice President of Tauck World Discovery. Following that, in his second travel and tourism career, Randy advanced the work of Sustainable Tourism as an advisor, consultant, and speaker.
He brings his knowledge of the business of travel, his global network of travel professionals, and a passion for sustainability to support the GSTC and the general sustainable tourism movement. He has held several board positions and committee memberships in travel and tourism organizations, and is a frequent speaker on sustainable tourism issues.
Ayako Ezaki is Co-Founder and Head of Knowledge Management & Communications at TrainingAid, an international tourism and training company offering online training courses and skills development opportunities for tourism industry professionals. Having worked for over eight years in tourism professional training and education in the non-profit sector, Ayako specializes in content building, educational program design, and project planning. She also brings many years of experience in online communications, social media marketing, and web publishing. Through TrainingAid’s partnership with the GSTC, Ayako serves as Training Director to develop, manage and market the GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program.
GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism
Participants who completed this 2-day training class of the STTP met the training requirement towards earning the GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism.
They now have have access to the official STTP Exam, and upon successful completion (75% and above passing mark is required), will receive a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by the GSTC to demonstrate their knowledge of sustainable tourism standards and practices.
More about the STTP
The GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) offers practical insights and effective steps to help you improve your sustainability practices. With the aim of strengthening awareness of sustainable tourism in destinations around the world, the training program covers global trends in sustainable tourism and sustainability best practices for businesses and destinations.
Designed as a intensive and interactive training experience led by expert GSTC Trainer(s), STTP training classes are offered throughout the year, and provide two options for completing the training requirement towards earning the GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism:
- In-person 2- or 3-day training classes (Face-to-face training classes offered throughout the year in various locations around the world).
- Online 4-week training classes (Online scheduled training classes led by GSTC trainers, available at least 4 times a year).
- See all the upcoming training classes of the STTP.
- Sign up to receive email updates on the STTP.