The 3-day Sustainable Tourism Training was held at Puri Santrian Beach Resort & Hotel in Sanur, Bali, Indonesia from January 28-30, 2020. The first 2 days consisted of classroom sessions with trainer presentations, group discussions and interactive activities. On the third day, participants enjoyed a field session visiting local organizations and sites to learn about their sustainability efforts.
About the Training
The 3-day training class is designed for travel and tourism industry professionals interested in learning about sustainability best practices for businesses and destinations. The training covered tourism as a tool for sustainable development, sustainability best practices and the GSTC Criteria, the world’s leading standard for tourism sustainability, as well as key topics such as global trends in sustainable tourism, sustainability marketing, and sustainable tourism product development and management.
Key Training Program Highlights
- Knowledge and expertise representing the GSTC as the global authority on quality sustainable tourism standards.
- Stimulating and rewarding learning experience, being part of an interactive training with fellow participants representing a variety of public, private, academic and non-profit entities.
- Practical insights on promoting sustainable and responsible travel experiences through case studies and best practice examples.
- the opportunity to participate in the official GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) Exam, and upon successful completion, receive a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by the GSTC to demonstrate your knowledge of sustainable tourism standards and practices.
GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism
Participants that completed this 3-day training class of the STTP have met the training requirement towards earning the GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism.
They now have have access to the official STTP Exam, and upon successful completion (75% and above passing mark is required), will receive a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by the GSTC to demonstrate their knowledge of sustainable tourism standards and practices.
Trainers & Presenters
Mochamad Nalendra, GSTC Trainer
Mochamad Nalendra is the Executive Director of MarkPlus Center for Tourism and Hospitality, the GSTC training partner in Indonesia. He graduated with honors from Monash University, Australia in International Sustainable Tourism Management.
Currently, he is also the advisor to the chairman of Bali Tourism Board and has helped some local governments and tourism ministry on several projects including nomadic tourism playbook, sustainable tourism guideline in national parks, destination branding, and so on. He was also invited as a guest speaker in various tourism seminar and conferences both national and international.
Dr. David Ermen, GSTC Trainer
David is a consultant and speaker, with a focus on destination management, service quality improvement, and sustainability in tourism. During his career he has managed large scale consulting and development projects in Europe, the Middle East, Asia & Oceania. The projects included developing national tourism strategies, establishing tourism training colleges, and creating quality management systems for hospitality operators. In addition, David researches, teaches and guest lectures on both service management and destination management related topics at international tourism schools. In 2017, David was involved in UNWTO’s International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development as a speaker and research contributor. Recent speaking roles include moderating the Destination Day at the ITB in Berlin and presentations on the management of destinations to avoid overtourism and millennials as sustainable travellers.
More about the STTP
The GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) offers practical insights and effective steps to help you improve your sustainability practices. With the aim of strengthening awareness of sustainable tourism in destinations around the world, the training program covers global trends in sustainable tourism and sustainability best practices for businesses and destinations.
Designed as a intensive and interactive training experience led by expert GSTC Trainer(s), STTP training classes are offered throughout the year, and provide two options for completing the training requirement towards earning the GSTC Certificate in Sustainable Tourism:
- In-person 2- or 3-day training classes (Face-to-face training classes offered throughout the year in various locations around the world).
- Online 4-week training classes (Online scheduled training classes led by GSTC trainers, available at least 4 times a year).
- See all the upcoming training classes of the STTP.
- Sign up to receive email updates on the STTP.