About the GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program
With the aim of strengthening awareness of sustainable tourism in destinations around the world, the GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) covers global trends in sustainable tourism. It looks at sustainability best practices for both businesses and destinations. It also offers a unique opportunity to gain an in-depth understanding of the GSTC Criteria, the global baseline standards for sustainability in travel and tourism.
Using the GSTC Criteria as the basis, the STTP curriculum is designed to help tourism businesses to:
- Guide them through the various sustainable business practices; from product development to supply chain management.
- Assist them with sustainability training and skills development efforts; helping improve employee sustainability performance.
- Communicate to customers and to the media about sustainable business practices more effectively.
The STTP curriculum is also designed to help destinations as:
- A tool for destination leaders and industry stakeholders to properly understand relevant sustainability issues and practices.
- A baseline standard to assist the development of regulatory and legal frameworks for national, provincial, or local standards.
- Guidelines to support the process of becoming certified as a destination by a GSTC-accredited standard.
“The GSTC training program is a critical part of the GSTC’s mission of increasing sustainable tourism knowledge and practices among tourism industry stakeholders” – Randy Durband, Chief Executive Officer, GSTC
The STTP is supported by and delivered in partnership with TrainingAid.
STTP Training Participants from around the World
We are proud to share that working with our international team of trainers and partners, we have met and exceeded our goals. Throughout the year, the STTP offered 28 training sessions, attended by a total of over 822 tourism industry professionals.
Sustainable Tourism Training Program in 2020
So what are some other updates and highlights of the STTP in 2020?
- NEW! STTP in Spanish:
- First Spanish-language GSTC training online course (Oct – Nov 2020) in partnership with Regenera ONG
- Second course scheduled for March – April 2021
- Custom Training for Destination Leaders and Industry Stakeholders:
- Custom Short Training for National & Regional Groups:
- Short courses for ProColombia and Asociación Colombiana de Turismo Responsable (ACOTUR)
- Pacific Islands Tourism Professional Fellows Program, supported by the East-West Center (Honolulu, HI)
- Sustainable Tourism Destination Development –SusTour, Swiss-Indonesian Development Cooperation
Finally, we are also looking to diversify these learning opportunities, by focusing more deeply on specific topics and issues. We try to offer tailored group training options, and exploring training formats that best support our goals.
Whether you were part of the STTP in 2020 or earlier, or you’re interested in joining one of our training classes in the future, we want to hear from you. Please feel free to get in touch to share your ideas and suggestions, so we can work together with you to improve our training programs.