Global Sustainable Tourism Conference #GSTC2018 Kasane
The annual GSTC Conference, the Global Sustainable Tourism Conference 2018 (GSTC2018), will address topics based on the Kasane Call to Action to accelerate sustainable consumption and production (SCP):
- Achieving Sustainable Destination Management
- Certification as a Driver of Sustainable Tourism
- Reaching the SDGs through the GSTC Criteria
- Market Access for Responsible Tourism Businesses
GSTC2018 will bring together international and domestic tourism stakeholders involved in the development and promotion of sustainable tourism; including public sector, hotels, tour operators, academia, development agencies, NGOs, consultants, and more.
A mixture of plenary sessions and breakouts with international and national experts in sustainable tourism as speakers, panelists, and panel moderators.
(A) Achieving Sustainable Destination Management
- Visitor management tools and approaches
- Tourism destination management for SIDS
- Protection and restoration of threatened biodiversity
- Strategies for meaningful stakeholder engagement
- Actively participate in the revision of the GSTC Destination Criteria
(B) Certification as a Driver of Sustainable Tourism
- Mainstreaming certification in the tourism sector (Moving from operating responsibly to being independently certified)
- Market demand for certified tourism products and destination (How big is it, and how can it be enhanced?)
- Raising traveler awareness of certification (Messaging that works)
- Traveler tools to find and buy certified products, services, and destinations
(C) Reaching the SDGs through the GSTC Criteria
- Linkages between the SDGs and the GSTC Criteria: Explaining the links
- Measuring the contribution of tourism to the SDGs at scale (Tools for monitoring and reporting)
- Achievements towards the 17 SDGs in the tourism sector (Best practices, case studies and regional reviews & lessons learned)
- Wildlife conservation, local communities, and tourism (Highlighting the linkages between the SDGs)
(D) Market Access for Responsible Tourism Businesses
- Successes and challenges of marketing sustainability
- Inclusion in and visibility of certified tourism businesses on booking engines
- Overcoming the challenges in marketing, sales, and distribution of SMEs
- Communicating the customer benefits of certified/responsible businesses to prospective travelers
- December 7th (Friday): Welcoming dinner
- December 8th (Saturday): Conference – day 1
- December 9th (Sunday): Conference – day 2
- December 10th (Monday): Post-conference 1-day tour – complimentary
- December 10th-12th (Monday-Wednesday): Post-conference 3-day/2-night tour – self-paid
- Welcome reception and dinner – December 7th
- 2 full days conference – December 8th & 9th (including lunches and dinners)
- Limited availability of 1-day post-conference tour
Prof. Graham Miller
Executive Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Surrey
Managing Director, Fair Trade Tourism
Dr. Anna Spenceley
Chair, IUCN WCPA Tourism and Protected Areas Specialist Group (TAPAS); Board Member, GSTC
Marketing Manager – Ecotourism, Botswana Tourism Organisation
President & CEO, Thompson Okanagan Tourism Region
Executive Marketing Manager, Botswana Tourism Organisation
Heidi Van Der Watt
Director, Better Tourism Africa; Board Member, GSTC
Marketing Manager – Products, Botswana Tourism Organisation
Venue: Mowana Safari Lodge, Kasane.
Kasane: Kasane lies in the Okavango-Chobe region, the northeast corner of Botswana, a meeting point of four countries – Botswana, Zambia, Namibia and Zimbabwe – and the confluence of two major rivers, the Chobe and the Zambezi. It’s the northern gateway to Chobe National Park and the jumping-off point for excursions to Victoria Falls.
Weather: December in Kasane
Visa: Do you need a visa to enter Botswana? Find out here.
Travel Arrangements: Daily flights to Kasane (BBK) from Johannesburg and Addis Ababa, among other neighboring countries.
Hotel reservations are the responsibility of the attendee: accommodation options.
More Travel Information available here.
Extending your stay to explore the area? Botswana: Explore, Experience, Stay