GSTC 2019 Global Conference: “Navigating the Way Forward in Sustainable Tourism” | 4-7 December 2019 | Terceira Island, Azores, Portugal
The GSTC2019 Global Conference will bring together international and domestic tourism stakeholders involved in the development and promotion of sustainable tourism; including public sector, hotels, tour operators, academia, development agencies, NGOs, consultants, and more.
(A) Smart & Sustainable Destination Management
– Island & Marine Tourism
– Seasonality: Under- and Over-tourism
– Nature destinations
(B) Market Opportunities and Challenges for Sustainable Products
– Sustainable and Responsible Procurement
– Marketing sustainability and influencing travelers’ preferences
(C) Is Tourism Responding to Climate Change?
– Slow travel
– Destinations adaptation to climate change
– Energy efficiency in travel and accommodations
* Plastic pollution in the tourism industry (panel discussion in partnership with WWF)
A mixture of panel discussions and interactive workshops with international and national experts in sustainable tourism as speakers.
- December 4th (Wednesday): Welcoming dinner
- December 5th (Thursday): Conference – day 1
- December 6th (Friday): Conference – day 2
- December 7th (Saturday): Post-conference tours
- December 3rd-4th: GSTC Sustainable Tourism Training
Welcome reception and dinner – December 4th
2 full days conference – December 5th & 6th (including lunches and dinners)
1-day post-conference tour (limited availability) – December 7th
SPEAKERS (more to come)
Dr. Jane Ashton
Director of Sustainability, TUI Group
Director of Tourism, Cayman Islands
Special Adviser, Innovation Norway
Dr. Xavier Font
Professor, University of Surrey
Corporate Social Responsibility Commissioner, ITB Berlin
Martina von Münchhausen
Tourism Expert, WWF
President, Green Destinations
Venue: Angra do Heroísmo Conference Centre, Terceira Island, Azores, Portugal
Terceira Island, Azores, is the second most populated Azorean island with 58000 inhabitants and the third biggest in surface area after S. Miguel and Pico. It is also known as “The Lilac Island”. Terceira’s municipal seat is located in Angra do Heroismo where the Paços do Concelho (City Hall), a majestic construction of the 19th century, is an important example of the rich architectural patrimony of Angra.
Visa: Do you need a visa to enter Portugal? Find out here.
Travel Arrangements: Lajes Internacional Airport (TER) is served with flights from North America and Europe. More details.
Accommodation is the responsibility of the participants. More details on featured hotels.
More Travel Information available here.
PARTNERS & SUPPORTERS